VMU chamber orchestra was established in 2011 and is the only Chamber Orchestra of Professional Performance in Kaunas City. It was established in the provisional capital of Lithuania not only seeking to promote the classical music but also modern interpretation of it. Orchestra also widely represents Lithuania abroad.
During the so called not long life on stage Orchestra already performed over 150 times in Lithuania and away. Orchestra attended:
- Euro-Mediterranean Youth Music Expo 2012 festival in Cyprus
- In 2013 performed at the festival called Schlezwig-Holstein in Germany and charmed thousands of spectators
- In 2017 Orchestra travelled to USA and performed with the saxophonist and composer Liutauras Janusaitis presenting the co-released CD and Vinyl „Two Different Sides“
- In 2019 performed at the international chamber music festival „Salkhino palace camerata“ in Georgia
- participated in the most popular international music festivals in Lithuania like Pazaislis, Kristupas summer festival, modern music festival ‘Is arti’, ‘Operete Kauno pilyje’ (yearly evet run at Kaunas Castle), E Griegas and M. K. Ciurlionis Music Festival, jazz festival ‘Broma Jazz’, M. K. Ciurlionis, festival, Vilnius Culture Nights event and many others.
Orchestra performed with famous Lithuanian and performers from abroad: Merunas Vitulskis, Liudas Mikalauskas, Evelina Sasenko, Girmante Vaitkute, Liutauras Janusaitis, Ruta Lipinaityte, Saulius Petreikis and group, Verena Rein (soprano, Germany), Alexander Paley (piano, USA), Jyotsna Srikanth (violin, India-United Kingdom) and Shadrach Solomon (piano, USA), group ‘Liudni Slibinai’, Kaunas Dance Theatre ‘Aura’, video games music project ‘GameOn Live”, also played in operas, as well as with other well known and rising music artists from Kaunas, Lithuania and abroad. Orchestra prepared a CD of works by Lithuanian composers ‘Ekspresija’.
VMU Chamber Orchestra initiates various programmes and organises different concerts. Kaunas Philharmonic includes VMU Orchestra concerts in their shows some of which became a tradition – like with the best performing youngsters of the area (grand piano).
Orchestra arranges the international Chamber music festival ‘Avanti’. This year it was the 9th time when this happened. It was first time in the history when all professional chamber Orchestras from Vilnius, Klaipeda and Kaunas joined together.
The conductors of the Orchestra changed with the change of the orchestra itself:
2011 – 2014 – Robertas Bliskevicius, 2015 – 2019 – Jonas Janulevicius, 2019 – now – Vytautas Lukočius.
Guest conductors – Ričardas Šumila, Martynas Staškus, Karolis Variakojis, Egidijus Miknius, Giedrius Vaznys, Petras Bingelis, Ivan Ostapovuch (Ukraine), Vladimir Ponkin (Russia)
Orchestra director Rita Bieliauskaitė
Conductor Vytautas Lukočius
Communications Manager Miglė Oželytė